Work Permit and Visa

Home » Work Permits » For Staff Agencies » Work Permit and Visa

What is the difference between a Work Permit and a visa?

A UK Work Permit is a document issued by the Overseas Labour Service (Work Permits (UK)), a part of the Department for Education and Employment; it gives a UK employer permission to employ an overseas candidate in a specific job at a specific location.

A UK Work Permit is not a permission for the candidate to take up work in the UK. The permission for the candidate to enter and work in the UK is conferred by a UK Immigration or Consular officer who, following the issue of a Work Permit, may issue the candidate with a suitable visa. The visa is an endorsement stamped in the candidate’s passport.

For details of UK Entry Clearance please click here

Even if the candidate is already working in the UK on a Work Permit, if they want to move to another job, their new (prospective) employer must obtain a new Work Permit before they can change jobs. However, this process is generally straigntforward