Does the candidate need a UK Work Permit?

Home » Work Permits » For Staff Agencies » Does the candidate need a UK Work Permit?

The following categories of people can take up any lawful employment in the UK and do not need a Work Permit:

NB Nationals of those countries with a (*) above must apply for a registration certificate under the Worker Registration Scheme within one month of commencing a new job in the UK.

NB if the candidate has a ‘Working Holiday’ visa, it probably does NOT allow them to take up the job you have found for them. These visas allows candidate to take up "employment incidental to [their] holiday". They can work for up to 50% of the time, either by working part-time (up to 20 hrs/week) throughout, or by working full-time for 12 months and not working for the other 12 months.

However a working holidaymaker is not allowed to pursue his/her career or to render professional services. This means that candidates are not allowed to work as IT professionals, for example, while on a working holiday visa.

In addition to these categories of people, nationals of European Community Association Agreement countries (Bulgaria and Romania) may come to the UK to set up in business and are exempt from the usual investment requirements. Thus may it viable for them to come to set up an IT consulting / contracting company and to work for your client in a freelance capacity. However, applications to enter the UK in this capacity will often take several months to process, and are only viable for those who combine technical skills with business experience.

Go to our guide to freelance work in the UK for EC Association Agreement nationals