Rights to your family

Home » Work Permits » For Employees » Rights to your family

If I get a UK work Permit, what are the rights of my family?


Your children are entitled to the same free education as British children although you may choose to send your children to a private school if you wish.

Health care

This will depend on the length of your permit. If you enter the UK on a work permit for less than six months, neither you nor your family will usually be covered by the National Health Service. You are not required to take out private health insurance, but it is wise to do so.

Where you are in the UK on a work permit lasting more than 6 months, you and your family here as your dependants are eligible to free health care provided by the National Health Service.


Your spouse is entitled to take up any lawful employment.


Whatever your nationality, your spouse and children will need to get entry clearance from the local British consular section before they can enter the UK and have the benefits that accrue to your dependants. If they are not visa nationals, and come to the UK without prior entry clearance, they may be admitted as visitors but would have none of the benefits outlined above