Gap year entrants

Home » Gap year entrants

A new scheme has recently been announced by the Home Office under which non- EU/EEA nationals can come to the UK to take up work in schools during their gap year (the year between finishing secondary school and commencing University studies).

If you meet the following conditions, you can come to the UK to work in a school as a gap-year entrant:

As a gap year entrant you can remain in the UK for a maximum of 12 months.

The position offered to you as a teacher or teaching assistant must involve you directly in the teaching process in the classroom, and some administrative work within the school is also authorised.

Applicants will need to apply for entry clearance at a British Embassy or High Commission in your normal country of residence before being admitted to the UK as a gap year student.

This visa cannot be extended. For more information please see our news article about gap-year entrants.