Postgraduate Doctors/Dentists

Home » Postgraduate Doctors/Dentists

If you have qualified in the UK or abroad as a doctor or dentist you may be able to do postgraduate training in the UK. You must first register with either the General Medical Council or the General Dental Council before you start postgraduate training.

If you have worked as a house officer in a hospital in the UK for up to 12 months then you can qualify for full registration with the General Medical Council. If you have qualified in another country, you may need to pass an English language test before you can register. Doctors must pass the IELTS test before they can take the Professional and Linguistic Assessment Board (PLAB) exam. You can be granted permission to stay in the UK in order to pass the PLAB exam.

In order to qualify for postgraduate training in the UK, you must show evidence that you:

If you can satisfy the conditions above, you will be granted a visa for up to three years initially for the UK. You can stay for up to four years as long as you have a job in basic specialist training or a similar position. Your visa can then be extended for up to three years at a time.

You would need a work permit if you come to the United Kingdom to do work other than in a training post.